Charm and history become as much a part of an old house as the stone, brick, or wood from which it is built. One such house is the C.E. Dinehart residence of Slayton, built in 1891, the same year as the original Murray County courthouse. Following the death of Judge John Holt in 1994, the house and many of the furnishings were sold at an estate sale. The house was put up for sale again in 2007 and purchased by Murray County to be used as a Historic House Museum. The essential character of the house remains and provides visitors with a glimpse into the early days of Slayton and Murray County.
Constructed in 1998 with funds raised by the Murray County Historical Society and a special donation from Carl Sierk, this building is dedicated to the agricultural heritage of the county. Among the items displayed are a 1926 Caterpillar 60, an Avery threshing machine, and a well-preserved outhouse. This building is open by request during regular museum hours and during the fair in August.
This authentic cabin was built from oak logs and square nails on the Northwest Quarter of Section 6 in the Slayton Township in 1872 by Ole Wornson. The cabin was continuously occupied by Wornson family members until 1951. It was moved to its present site on the Murray County Fairgrounds by the Murray County Historical Society in 1976. The log cabin is open by request during the summer and daily from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. during the Murray County Fair in August.